|Commonwealth of the United Provinces of Darya|
Darya Rasash Byrlek Ul'us
Setting: Galactic Crucibles
Ul'ummiler Vyzhe, Ul'uddiler Saffe (Maviba)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
|Ethnic groups||86% Darsa|
11% other minorities
|Government||Federal direct democracy under non-partisan directorial republic|
|• Upper house||Toplanta|
|• Lower house||Montash|
• First space flight
|42 Shifhab 1 TE|
|34 Yanginhab 28–19 Hasathab 43 TE|
|74 Yanginhab 44 TE|
• First extraplanetary colony
|25 Hasathab 60 TE|
• Unification of Darya
|Novi'enyo 160 TE|
|• Size||18 systems|
|• 542 TE estimate||200 billion|
Darya, officially the Commonwealth of the United Provinces of Darya (Maviba: Darya Rasash Byrlek 'Ul'us), is a nation comprising 18 systems located in the mid-regions of the Far North Arm. Darya is centred around its namesake and capital world of Darya, the second planet of the Adal system. The Commonwealth is dominated by the Darsi people, although some minorities exist, particularly in the outer territories of the Commonwealth. The Commonwealth describes itself as a federal directorial republic. The Darsi government operates under a distinct and unique form of direct democracy. The nation is divided into 58 provinces, each of which have their own local governments modelled after the federal administration.
10,000 years before the formation of the Commonwealth, thousands of small communities and villages were scattered across Darya. Many villages independently developed primitive forms of what would become modern Darsi communalism, as collective leadership became a widespread idea. As Darlash at the time were almost exclusively predisposed to this way of life, it has been proposed that the appearance of Karnasaur scientists in Korat in the mid-9th millennium AK could have influenced some of these communities to begin expanding beyond the confines of their surroundings. Other states eventually began to consolidate their territories into larger alliances and unions. Technology had progressed enough by the 7th century AK that Korati nations began to explore and colonise the rest of the planet, spurred on by myths of the legendary continent of Luksarus. By the 3rd century AK, much of Darya had industrialised, and scientific advancements led to increasingly aggressive expansionism on the part of major world powers, such as Maviba, Vema and Kla'amar. This led to several large conflicts, including the First Great Darsi War, which gradually spurred on a movement for world peace, and thus the establishment of the World Confederation in 58 AK.
The advent of Darsi spaceflight marked the beginning of a new era in the Darsi calendar, and as such took place in 1 TE. Rivalries emerged between the numerous nations of Darya to achieve milestones first. However, backlash from religious authorities began a downward spiral to chaos, and the Second Great Darsa War from 28 to 43 TE resulted in the deaths of millions and the first use of nuclear weapons by Darsi militaries. After fifteen years of war, during which several theocracies rose to and fell from power, a newly unified Darsi League international union rose from the ashes, and pushed for the pursuit of space exploration and colonisation. The first extraterrestrial Darsa colony was established by Kla'amar on Menekshe's largest moon Menekshe II in 60 TE. By 159 TE, colonies were established on all major terrestrial bodies in the Adal system, and the terraforming of Menekshe II had begun. The same year, negotiations wrapped up for the formal unification of Darya, and the Charter of the Darsi Commonwealth came into effect at the beginning of 160 TE. In 189 TE, warp drive was discovered by Darsi scientists; this immediately led to a massive expansion of the Commonwealth, with Darsi settlers establishing new colonies in Dajma, Brihesh and Olepka. As of 542 TE, the Commonwealth now has 58 provinces under its authority, and its space has quintupled in size.
Darya today is a regional power in the Far North Arm and is an increasingly important galactic economy. The nation ranks highly in quality of life, health, education and political rights. Darya is a member of the Galactic Senate, among a variety of other galactic forums. The population of 200 billion is highly urbanised and heavily concentrated in the west of Darsi territory. Darya also has a significant immigrant population.
Government and politics
- Main articles: Government of the Darsa Commonwealth, Provincial governments of the Darsa Commonwealth, Local government in the Darsa Commonwealth, Elections in the Darsa Commonwealth
The Commonwealth is a federation of Darsi worlds organised into 58 provinces (rasa) and 14 territories (bulga) — including the Darsi Federal Territory, in which the capital, Darya, is located — which altogether comprise the 18 systems that the nation occupies. Its political structure consists of a variety of councils which are all democratic in nature. No single individual holds chief executive power, and on a national level, no one council is above the other. The numerous councils act as checks and balances to each other, and constitute a separation of powers. Citizens are subject to three levels of government: federal, provincial, and local.
The federal government is composed of several branches, the most notable of which are listed below:
- Montash: The Montash, or National Assembly, is Darya's closest equivalent to a legislative branch. The Montash, however, is not an elected body; rather, it is composed of the entire population. The Commonwealth has no codified constitution; the Montash, and thus the citizenry itself, constitutes the supreme law of the nation. All citizens, including juveniles and with the exception of convicted felons, possess the legal right to attend and sit in sessions of the Montash. The Montash is responsible for creating Sojunma (resolutions), which are guidelines by which the executive creates and enforces laws.
- Toplanta: Also known as the Interstellar Council, the Toplanta is another of the major councils in Darya. Its members, known as Lanton (literally "meeting-man") are directly elected by the population. Unlike the Montash, there is an age limit for being a Lanton: one needs to be at least 35 years of age to be a member of the Interstellar Council. There are eighteen Lanton, with each system having one representative. The Toplanta serves effectively as a collective head of state or executive council, and is empowered to create laws and provide for their enforcement along the constitutional guidelines set by the Montash. The Toplanta is by convention forbidden from disobeying the resolutions of the Montash. Members of the Toplanta serve for five Darsa years, upon which all seats are put up for election.
- Adalam: The Adalam is the judicial branch of the Commonwealth. The word Barimmon (meaning “Keeper of the Peace”) is used to refer to members of the court. The Adalam oversees the Toplanta and other small councils and offices to ensure that these government bodies are acting responsibly and that they are following the guidelines of the Montash. They are charged with the duty of trialling government officials impeached by the Montash, and can also reverse laws which do not follow the Sojunma. New Barimmon are nominated by the Toplanta and confirmed by the Montash. A Barimmon serves until the age of 65, upon which they are required by law to retire. Barimmon can also be removed from office by a supermajority vote in the Montash (⅔ of those present at a given session).
- Vashkurum: The Vashkurum is the government body that oversees and directs the Commonwealth Defence Force. A separate council for the Defence Force was created at its inception because its hierarchical structure is so far removed from the rest of Darsi society. Half of the Vashkurum is indirectly elected by members of the Defence Force, while the other half are nominated by the Toplanta and confirmed by the Montash. The Vashkurum does not possess the ability to create defence legislation, but is effectively a joint supreme command for the Defence Force.
Provincial governments are structured in roughly similar fashion, with the exception of the Vashkurum, which exists only in the federal government.
- Main article: List of provinces and dependencies of Darya
The Commonwealth is a federal republic of 58 provinces, 14 territories, and 5 dependencies. The provinces are the principal divisions in the nation. Several layers of subdivision within the provinces also occur, ending with the governments of individual settlements, colonies and habitats. The Darsi Federal Territory is home to Darya, the capital of the Commonwealth. All Darsi citizens, regardless of where in the Commonwealth they live, are entitled to sit in sessions of the Montash; similar direct democratic bodies also exist for each province and other subdivision, and residents of those areas may also attend their meetings.
Parties and elections
- Main article: Politics of Darya
The Commonwealth has operated under a multi-partisan system for much of its history. Since the federal election of 528 TE, the major parties have been the Communalist Party of Darya (Byrlekki Fagsha, BF) and the Alliance for Individual Freedoms (Venaroddi Ul'us, VU). The BF was formed in 519 TE through a merger of several political parties in response to growing public opposition to the government-controlled communal system, the preservation of which the BF advocates. On the other hand, the VU supports the relaxation of the system in favour of individual liberties and expanded civil rights.
Of the Toplanta's eighteen members, ten are currently Communalist, while the other eight are Individualist. It is thought that as much as 40% of the population are Individualists, as reflected in the voting patterns of the latest convocation of the Montash in 542 TE.
Law enforcement and crime
Science and technology