Setting: Galactic Crucibles
Kesaram med Adalam (Maviba)
Courage and Justice
|Ethnic groups||86% Darsa|
11% other minorities
|Government||Federal direct democracy under directorial republic|
|• Upper house||Toplanta|
|• Lower house||Ulustash|
• First space flight
|42 Anaris 1 TE|
|34 Kalleris 28–19 Terysis 43 TE|
|54 Kalleris 44 TE|
• First extraplanetary colony
|25 Terysis 60 TE|
• Unification of Adal
|Novi'enyo 160 TE|
|• Size||18 systems|
|• 544 TE estimate||200 billion|
|Currency||United Communes Orya|
The United Communes (Maviba: Rasi'ulus) is a nation comprising 18 systems located in the mid-regions of the Far North Arm. The United Communes is dominated by the Darsi people, although some minorities exist, particularly in the outer territories of the United Communes. The United Communes describes itself as a federal directorial republic. The Adalli government operates under a distinct and unique form of direct democracy. The nation is divided into 58 communes, each of which have their own local governments.
10,000 years before the formation of the United Communes, thousands of small communities and villages were scattered across Darya, the homeworld of the Darsa. Many villages independently developed primitive forms of what would become modern Darsi communalism, as collective leadership became a widespread idea. As Darsa at the time were almost exclusively predisposed to this way of life, it has been proposed that the appearance of Karnasaur scientists in Korat in the mid-9th millennium AK could have influenced some of these communities to begin expanding beyond the confines of their surroundings. Other states eventually began to consolidate their territories into larger alliances and unions. Technology had progressed enough by the 7th century AK that Korati nations began to explore and colonise the rest of the planet, spurred on by myths of the legendary continent of Luksarus. By the 3rd century AK, much of Darya had industrialised, and scientific advancements led to increasingly aggressive expansionism on the part of major world powers, such as Maviba, Vema and Kla'amar. This led to several large conflicts, including the First Great Darsi War, which gradually spurred on a movement for world peace, and thus the establishment of the World Confederation in 58 AK.
The advent of Darsi spaceflight marked the beginning of a new era in the Darsi calendar, and as such took place in 1 TE. Rivalries emerged between the numerous nations of Darya to achieve milestones first. However, backlash from religious authorities began a downward spiral to chaos, and the Second Great Darsi War from 28 to 43 TE resulted in the deaths of millions and the first use of nuclear weapons by Darsi militaries. After fifteen years of war, during which several theocracies rose to and fell from power, a newly unified Darsi League international union rose from the ashes, and pushed for the pursuit of space exploration and colonisation. The first extraterrestrial Darsi colony was established by Kla'amar on Menekshe's largest moon Menekshe II in 60 TE. By 159 TE, colonies were established on all major terrestrial bodies in the Adal system, and the terraforming of Menekshe II had begun. The same year, negotiations wrapped up for the formal unification of the system, and the Charter of the United Communes came into effect at the beginning of 160 TE. In 189 TE, warp drive was discovered by Adalli scientists; this immediately led to a massive expansion of the United Communes, with Adalli settlers establishing new colonies in Dacma, Brihesh and Olepka. As of 542 TE, the United Communes now has 58 communes under its authority, and its space has quintupled in size.
The United Communes today is a regional power in the Far North Arm and is an increasingly important galactic economy. The nation ranks highly in quality of life, health, education and political rights. The United Communes is a member of the Galactic Senate, among a variety of other galactic forums. The population of 200 billion is highly urbanised and heavily concentrated in the west of Adalli territory. Adal also has a significant immigrant population.
Government and politics
- Main articles: Government of the United Communes, Provincial governments of the United Communes, Local government in the United Communes, Elections in the United Communes
The United Communes is a federation organised into 58 communes (rasa) and 14 territories (bulga) which altogether comprise the 18 systems that the nation occupies. Its political structure consists of a variety of councils which are all democratic in nature. No single individual holds chief executive power, and on a national level, no one council is above the other. The numerous councils act as checks and balances to each other, and constitute a separation of powers. Citizens are subject to three levels of government: federal, communal, and local.
The federal government is composed of several branches, the most notable of which are listed below:
- Assemblies: The Assemblies are the Union's closest equivalent to a legislative branch. The Union Assembly (Ulustash) is comprised of delegates who each represent one of the 20,000 local People's Assemblies (Montash). The Ulustash and Montash are together empowered to enact changes to the United Communes Charter, through which the citizenry directly influences the supreme law of the nation. All citizens, including juveniles and with the exception of convicted felons, possess the legal right to propose petitions and sit in session of their local Montash. The Ulustash is responsible for formally passing Socunma (resolutions), which are guidelines by which the executive creates and enforces laws.
- Toplanta: Also known as the Interstellar Council, the Toplanta is another of the major councils in Adal. Its members, known as Lanton (literally "meeting-man") are directly elected by the population. Unlike the Ulustash, there is an age limit for being a Lanton: one needs to be at least 14 years of age to be a member of the Interstellar Council. There are eighteen Lanton, with each system having one representative. The Toplanta serves effectively as a collective head of state or executive council, and is empowered to create laws and provide for their enforcement along the constitutional guidelines set by the Ulustash. The Toplanta is by convention forbidden from disobeying the resolutions of the Ulustash. Members of the Toplanta serve for five Darsi years, upon which all seats are put up for election.
- Otela: The Otela is the judicial branch of the United Communes. The word Barimmon (meaning “Keeper of the Peace”) is used to refer to members of the court. The Otela oversees the Toplanta and other small councils and offices to ensure that these government bodies are acting responsibly and that they are following the guidelines of the Ulustash. They are charged with the duty of trialling government officials impeached by the Ulustash, and can also reverse laws which do not follow the Socunma. New Barimmon are nominated by the Toplanta and confirmed by the Ulustash. A Barimmon serves until the age of 65, upon which they are required by law to retire. Barimmon can also be removed from office by a supermajority vote in the Ulustash (currently 13,334).
- Vashkurum: The Vashkurum is the government body that oversees and directs the United Communes Defence Force. Half of the Vashkurum is indirectly elected by members of the Defence Force, while the other half are nominated by the Toplanta and confirmed by the Ulustash. The Vashkurum does not possess the ability to create defence legislation, but is effectively a joint supreme command for the Defence Force.
Communal governments are structured in roughly similar fashion, with the exception of the Vashkurum, which exists only in the federal government, as individual communes may not raise their own armed forces.
- Main article: List of communes of the United Communes
The United Communes is a federal republic of 58 communes and 14 territories. The communes are the principal divisions in the nation. Several layers of subdivision within the communes also occur, ending with the governments of individual settlements, colonies and habitats. All Adalli citizens, regardless of where in the United Communes they live, are entitled to sit in sessions of the Montash; similar direct democratic bodies also exist for each commune and other subdivision, and residents of those areas may also attend their meetings. The United Communes' official capital is Ul'um Station, a large space station orbiting the star of Adal which houses most of the United Communes' core federal institutions.
Parties and elections
- Main article: Politics of the United Communes
The United Communes has operated under a multi-partisan system for much of its history. Since the federal election of 528 TE, the major parties have been the Communalist Party of Darya (Byrlekki Fagsha, BF) and the Alliance for Individual Freedoms (Venaroddi Ul'us, VU). The BF was formed in 519 TE through a merger of several political parties in response to growing public opposition to the government-controlled communal system, the preservation of which the BF advocates. On the other hand, the VU supports the relaxation of the system in favour of individual liberties and expanded civil rights.
Of the Toplanta's eighteen members, ten are currently Communalist, while the other eight are Individualist. It is thought that as much as 40% of the population are Individualists, as reflected in the voting patterns of the latest convocation of the Montash in 542 TE.
Law enforcement and crime
Science and technology